What is the Lobo Reading Experience?
The Lobo Reading Experience was created as a common academic reading program at the University of New Mexico (UNM). The program has been created for all students to offer a common reading experience that fosters a sense of community while promoting reading as an entire campus and a city-wide effort that promotes literacy. By selecting books that touch on important social issues and current events, the common reading experience informs and transforms our community.
Goals of the program:
- Encourage students to engage with diverse perspectives on current political, economic, social, and cultural issues raised by the Lobo Reading selection.
- The Lobo Reading Experience will help incoming students develop the critical thinking, intellectual, and social skills needed to be successful through the transition to UNM.
- Provide a transformative educational experience for all UNM students and inspire students to become agents of change in their communities.
- Promote cross-campus discussions with in and out-of-the-classroom activities throughout the academic year.
- Empower faculty, staff, and students to create and shape productive dialogue and create effective learning environments.