What is the Lobo Reading Experience?
The Lobo Reading Experience is a Provost’s Office Initiative. It was created in 2009 as a common academic reading program at the University of New Mexico (UNM). Each academic year, we select a book that touches on important social issues and current events. The Lobo Reading Experience helps incoming students explore new ideas and form their academic identities.The program fosters a sense of community by creating common ground for discussion while promoting literacy. The Lobo Reading Experience informs and transforms our UNM community by engaging students with new intellectual experiences. We create interdisciplinary learning opportunities for students that help them engage with multiple and conflicting perspectives on current political, economic, social, and cultural issues. Lobo Reading Experience encourages students, from their first day on campus, to become more socially conscious and prepared to tackle 21st century challenges.
Goals of the program:
- Encourages students to engage with diverse perspectives and conflicting opinions on current political, economic, social, and cultural issues raised by the Lobo Reading selection.
- The Lobo Reading Experience helps incoming students develop the critical thinking, intellectual, and interpersonal skills needed to be successful through the transition to university life.
- Provides a transformative educational experience for all UNM students and inspires students to become agents of change in their communities.
- Promotes meaningful student learning opportunities through cross-campus discussions with in and out-of-the-classroom activities.
- Empowers faculty, staff, and students to create and shape productive dialogue and create effective learning environments.